Definitions | ASTA Traffic Management Definitions | ASTA Traffic Management

TCP – Traffic Control Plan – A diagram showing signs and devices arranged to warn traffic and guides it around, past or, if necessary through a worksite or temporary hazard. The TCP shall detail the location, spacing and sizes of all signs and devices, the location and lengths of tapers, all pavement markings and delineators, any containment or safety fencing, flashing arrow signs, portable traffic signals, variable message signs, roadwork speed zones and if necessary, pedestrian routes.

TMP – Traffic Management Plan – A plan detailing work to be undertaken and describes its impact on the general area, especially its impact on public transport and passengers, cyclists, pedestrians, motorists and commercial operations. It also describes how these impacts are being addressed. May be also contain detailed TCPs and VMPs

VMP – Vehicle Movement Plan – a diagram showing the preferred travel path for vehicles associated with a work site entering, leaving or crossing the through traffic stream. A VMP should also show the travel paths for trucks at key points on routes remote from the work site such as places to turn around, access, ramps and side roads. A VMP may be combined with or superimposed on a TCP.

PMP – Pedestrian movement Plan A diagram showing the allocated travel path for workers or pedestrians around or through a work site. The plan shall show all associated signs devices used to guide the workers or pedestrians. A PMP may be combined with or superimposed on a TCP.

ROL – Road occupancy License – Allows a proponent to use specified road space at approved times but does not imply permission or approval for the actual works being undertaken. For all occupancies on classified (state) Roads applications are to be made to the planned incident unit of the RTA’s Transport Management Centre. For occupancies that impact solely on unclassified (Council) Roads applications are to be made to relevant local council authority.

Adjacent To traffic-Work which is not undertaken on trafficked lanes but immediately to the side of them and at locations where traffic from time to time might be expected to be found. For instance, on shoulder, footpaths or medians.

Council Permits -Council permit is required for a use or development of any Council owned or controlled property. Advice from Council should be sought on whether a use or development requires a permits’. This is achieved by accurately identifying the property in question and a fee may be payable. The same applies to Police permits which are required to ensure proposed works will not interfere with the day to day operations because of the proposed works.